Wednesday, June 24, 2009

the beautiful promise

Open facebook today, other than being bombarded with a list of getting-to-know-me results my friends have been taking, I noticed the panel on the right filled were 3 newly minted couples posting various wedding pictures. I briefly went through their pictures, just too many pictures for me to go through it one by one. Welcome to my age where being single is the odd one out. I’ve just attended a wedding dinner last week and there is another one coming along this weekend. So I foresee another 2 wedding albums that will be appearing soon.

Happy to see them all in bliss but my view of getting married right now is mixed. Amidst of this misty happiness while shrouded with beautiful promises of till death do us part, I know there is more than meets the eyes when it comes to life after marriage. How life can be different where things you expect to change will not change while things you don’t expect to change will changed. The union of 2 people is not child’s play but also a union of 2 families together, union of differing backgrounds, values and understanding of life and this is probably where all problems will come in. This moment now I’m not willing to face it, perhaps not having the courage to go through it all by myself.

Then I saw another friend whose boyfriend went down on bended knee while holidaying. Heart melts. I think getting engaged while on holiday is a very nice thought. While you’re enjoying every moment that you’re spending with him and then suddenly the ring pops out, it’s like a cherry on top of the ice cream (although I dislike eating cherry). Anyway, I know this friend for a while, not very close but I know she has been in love to this guy for many years. The relationship is like a boat on a stormy sea, according to some sources but she treats him with all the patience she has. Finally the moment of fairy tale has arrived and in style. I guess right now nothing else can put that huge smile on her face seeing the spark coming off from her hand every now and then relishing the sweetness she experienced in Italy.

I know of another friend who is also planning to propose in the coming Europe tour. I wonder if the plan is still valid now.

No comments: